If you come to Malaga in summer, they will surely warn you about the Terral: beware of it. Don’t worry, he is not a dangerous person but a curious and sticky meteorological phenomenon. You want to be on the beach when they tell you what’s coming!
Terral is the arrival of warm wind to the Costa del Sol. Normally, due to this, the terral usually coincides with the hottest days of the Malaga summer. But what exactly does it imply? What consequences does it have on a day-to-day basis? Let’s see it!
Terral from Malaga: what it is and why it happens
When during the summer you notice that your t-shirt sticks to your body like a second skin, when you can’t sleep at night, it means that Terral has arrived in Malaga.
The wind of Terral is a warm air coming from the north, which increases the temperature until it reaches the sea. When the air arrives to the areas of the province such as Ronda or Antequera, temperatures drop. However, when you cross the mountains to the Costa del Sol, the pressure increases and it gets warmer.
This phenomenon can even increase the temperature of 10 degrees!
Fortunately, sea water is cooler thanks to this phenomenon, perfect for a dip!
How long does Terral stay? Will Terral stay all summer long?
Fortunately, no! Terral, like a storm, is temporary. On average, it remains usually about 2 or 3 days, depending on its magnitude. Of course, we may suffer more than one throughout the summer.
Terral and the wind of Sahara
Malaga is only 160 kilometers from Africa, so it is not wrong to think that summer heat comes from Sahara desert. Is that true? Half.
Many people from Malaga believe that Terral and the wind of Sahara is the same process. However, it is a different phenomenon. Sahara’s wind comes from the south while Terral wind comes from the north. In addition, the wind of Sahara brings dust (sand from the desert!), that can condense in the clouds and, literally, it rains mud. Terral, on the other hand, is not charaterized by dust.
What can I do a day of Terral?
As we have said, the days of Terral are very hot and it is really annoying. Not even the locals get used to these hostile temperatures, but they have alternatives to enjoy the summer in days of Terral. And from OnSpain we tell you some of them:
– Go to the beach! In Malaga there are many beaches. And it can be a great solution especially during these days when the water is cooler. Do not forget the sunscreen!
– Watermelon, melon … summer fruits! The typical fruits of summer, watermelon and melon, are ideal to hydrate and refresh you, as well as being a source of vitamins. Have you tried them in shakes, juices or ice creams?
– Go shopping to a mall! Malaga has many shopping centres and the best part is that there is air conditioner. Spend a cool day of shopping and buy some souvenirs for your family!
– Visit other cities! Terral is a phenomenon that only occurs in Malaga and other nearby towns. In other places in Spain, meanwhile, it will not be very hot. Have you already visited Granada? Round? Nerja? It is a good time to make a break.
– Is it worth to stay at home? No matter how hot it is, you have to enjoy your stay in Malaga. Look at some cool plans and join them, it sure makes up for it.
– Whatever you do, do not forget two things: sunscreen and water. The first will avoid burns and the second will keep you hydrated and refresh you.