Discover the most interesting Spanish fun facts about this language.
Sometimes when we learn a new language, we first need to get to know a little bit about the curiosities of that language in order to start learning with a lot of strength and enthusiasm.
Maybe we spend a lot of time with learning the grammar, so OnSpain also wants you to show the importance of the culture which surrounds a language, because it is the culture which makes us understand certain texts, words and expressions.
1. Did you now that the word electroencefalografista is the longest word in the Spanish language? It’s the person that detects the electrical activity of the brain by means of a study. The word contains 10 syllables! Although this might not yet impress a German, who frequently finds words like Hypophysenvorderlappenhormon or, even worse, Grundstücksverkehrsgenehmigungszuständigkeitsübertragungsverordnung in their dictionary.
2. Did you know that the Spanish language is the official language in at least one country of the 5 continents? Of course we all know that Spanish is spoken in Europe and in Northern and Southern America, but did you know that it is also an official language in some countries in Asia, Africa and Australia (the Easter Islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean politically belong to Chile but geographically to Oceania = continent of Australia)?
3. Did you know that the word reconocer can be read in both directions, from left to right and from right to left?
4. Did you know that the Spanish language is the fastest spoken language based on the number of syllables that a Spanish speaker is able to speak per second? Of course this depends on who is speaking…
5. Did you know that the Andalusian accent is the accent that the conquerors spoke who went to discover Latin America? This is the reason why most of the Spanish spoken in the world is more similar to the Andalusian than to any other Spanish accents. Visit our post about the 10 reasons why to study Spanish in Andalusia.
6. Did you know that the current Spanish dictionary comprises 88.000 words versus 250.000 words in the English dictionary?
7. Did you know that the words vida, años, gobierno and casa are among the most frequently used words in the Spanish language? The most used word categories are the conjunctions, articles and prepositions (horror of all the foreigners..), but we also find these 4 words in the list of the first 200.
8. Did you know that the most used letters in the Spanish language are the vocals E, A, O and the consonants L and S? This knowledge will surely bring you an advantage in the one or the other table game.
9. Did you know that in old times Spanish was known as “Cristiano“? When the Arabs lived in Spain the used that word to distinguish between the persons who spoke Spanish and those who spoke Arab. Nowadays in Spain, when someone does not understand what the other one tries to say, there is an expression saying “Háblame en cristiano” (“Speak to me in Christian”). So you should remember that phrase for situations in which you do not understand what the other person wants to tell you, using a little bit of humour. If you are a foreigner, this will make the other person smile. If you want to know more funny phrases like that, read our blog about Spanish expressions relating to animals.
10. Did you know that separado is written as one word and todo junto is written as two words?
If you want to learn Spanish and if you like to know more about the language´s curiosities, let yourself surprise by the rich culture which surrounds the second most spoken language in the world in a Super intensive Spanish Course, in the heart of Andalusia.
OnSpain School, your door to learn Spanish!