The first example of giving compliments in Spanish would be: “I love you en inglés, ti amo en italiano, pero a ti te quiero te lo digo en castellano”.
In southern Spain, the afternoons are already getting longer and the rays of the sun more intensive as summer is waiting just around the corner. The Night of San Juan, the heat and the beach are calling and it’s the best time for giving out and for receiving compliments. You will see why the Spanish language is often referred to as “the language of love”…
El piropo is a compliment or a flattering phrase normally used by men as a weapon of seduction. It is a clever way to court a girl and to make her fall in love with you. Piropear a alguien means wooing, flattering, praising, complimenting, cooing…
Maybe for a German, a Briton, a Swede or any foreign student in a Spanish school in Malaga it is something rare but in Andalucía a compliment is commonly used to highlight the aesthetic values of the girls stimulating their self-esteem as they walk down the street or cross the sidewalk. Many times they make us smile, no matter how original and absurd they sometimes are: “¡Guapa! ¡Por ti mato a un elefante a chancletazos!” (Pretty! For you I kill an elephant throwing my flipflops at it!) And if you did not like what you hear because you think it is obscene, you can always answer: What animal are you!
Here’s a list of some of the most common piropos to make someone fall in love with you and to fall in love yourself:
• ¡Vaya! Mi madre nunca me dijo que las flores andaban! – My god! My mother never told me that flowers could walk!
• Si tu cuerpo fuera cárcel y tus labios cadena, qué bonito lugar para pasar mi condena. – If your body was a prison and your lips a chain, what a nice place it would be to serve my sentence!
• Coge por la sombra, bombón. – You better go into the shade, praline!
• ¿Qué hace una estrella volando tan bajo? – What is a star doing flying so low?
• Veneno que me dieras, veneno tomaba yo. – If you gave me poison, I would take it.
• ¡Me pierdo en tus ojos, morena! – I get lost in your eyes, brunette!
• Espero que te guste la fruta, bonita, porque yo soy tu media naranja! – I hope you like fruits, pretty, for I am your better half (of orange)!
• ¡Guapa! Apuesto a que te llamas Google, porque tienes todo lo que busco. – Pretty! I bet your name is Google, because you have all I am looking for.
• ¡Lo tuyo es un dos por uno, además de guapa eres simpática! – Your are two in one: You are not only pretty but also nice!
• Fíjate como es la ciencia que ahora hasta hacen bombones que andan. – See how far science has come, now they can make pralines walk!
Now you should be an expert at giving compliments in Spanish! But have you ever received any compliments in Spain? And would you like to share your experience with us? The OnSpain Team encourages you to write down all the “piropos” you have heard in the comments section and tell us how you felt.
If you want to keep laughing, we suggest our Top Ten list of funny Youtube videos by and for Spanish students.
OnSpain School, your door to learn Spanish!