Learning Spanish is not just something about speaking a language. In addition to studying the vocabulary, grammar or verbs (what a bore!), there are other things to learn, such as culture. A delicious part of Spanish and Malaga culture is its gastronomy.
Dishes represent the villages very well, and what a better way to enjoy good food in order to know a place. This time we tell you an old recipe, delicious, refreshing, easy, vegan and nutritious with easy-to-find ingredients such as tomato, green pepper and olive oil. We are talking about the Porra Antequerana.
Do you want to know how this nutritious dish of Malaga’s cuisine is made? Take note!
How to cook Porra Antequerana
Porra Antequerana is a really old dish that comes from the city of Antequera in Malaga. It is said that it was a poor food, since they used products from the garden and things that were left over. The seventeenth century peasants of Malaga prepared this dish with tomatoes, garlic, etc., leftovers and some pieces of stale bread.
Nowadays it’s a meal you can find in every part of Spain (and all over the world!), since it’s easy to prepare with very cheap ingredients.
Ingredients of Porra Antequerana (for four people)
In order to make the Porra Antequerana you will need the following ingredients:
1 kg of ripe tomatoes
1 green peppers
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
2 slices of loaf bread
3 spoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
And if you want … hard boiled egg, row ham dices (with these two condiments it will be more authentic!)
Do you already have all the ingredients? Excellent! Now we go with the preparation of the Porra Antequerana.
Porra Antequerana in 5 steps
– Wash, peel and chop the vegetables. Put the bread in the water, in this way it will be more spongy. Tomatoes may be peeled, but in the traditional recipe it is made without peeling.
– Take the bread, tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onion and pour them into a bowl to beat. You can also use a pot or a food processor.
– Beat! The authentic Porra de Antequera is thin and without threads. Pass it through the strainer if you think it has many bits.
– Add the salt, the vinegar, the olive oil and again to the blender
– Put it in a container, cover it with clear film and put it in the fridge. You can take it after 2 hours and you will have a delicious Porra Antequerana.
If you want to try the authentic Porra Antequerana, once it is ready to serve, you can throw in an hard boiled egg and dices of row ham. Delicious!
This is the end of our little recipe of Porra de Antequera. Remember that food is a good way to know the culture of one country. And the best: you can take home these recipes to impress your family and friends with this delicious dish.